Monday, July 27, 2009

Classic Timeless - I want you to want me

While camping  a few weekends ago, my friend Terry Lee suggested that my next blog, instead of doing a band or album, to just do a song that is timeless and great. Oh, the many to choose from. My brain racked through a list of Elvis, The Beatles, Frank Sinatra, Johnny Cash, etc. So many to choose from, but where to go with this? Then it occurred to me, my all time favorite song is a perfect one.

Cheap Trick - I want you to want me.

The lyrics are so simple, the music so upbeat. I am sure it is the most realistic romantic song ever written. We all want to have someone sing those words to us and mean it. We all wanted to sing those words to someone else because we know we mean it too. How can you go wrong? Even Diet Coke years ago had the best commercial for this song. It says everything I am trying to say here. Odd that a commercial is where I go with this, but check it out...


I get all giddy and happy everytime I see that commercial. I guess cause it makes sense. 

The song was on Cheap Trick's second album "In Color" that came out a year before I was born. The most famous version,  and easiest to find is the live version on "Cheap Trick at Budokan". Both great. It is amazing how many covers exists as well.  Some are great like Chris Issak's, and some are absolutely horrible like Lindsey Lohan's (seriously, really?). But they are not the only ones, you have Dwight Yoakam right there rocking the song while NOFX does the same thing.

It will never get old. Period. 

1 comment:

  1. Don't forget --Letters To Cleo's version from the teen movie - 10 things I hate about you, with them performing it at the end of the movie on the top of that building ! a pretty fine rendition

    ReplyDelete